Of the many cannabinoids within the cannabis plant, CBD and THC are the most well known, but there is one compound you may not have heard of, the Cannabinol or CBN compound is also being found to offer some major health benefits. The compound CBN is becoming increasingly popular as studies reveal it’s true benefits. So what is CBN for? CBN has been found to hold great sedative properties along with some other very therapeutic uses. Read on to get a simple break down of what CBN is for and how it works.
Is CBN more Like CBD or More like THC?
I’m sure by now you’ve heard of both the THC and CBD cannabinoids, but what you may not know is that the cannabis plant contains over 100 cannabinoids. The term cannabis can encompass all of the cannabicae plants including hemp and marijuana plants. Hemp and marijuana plants are differentiated by THC content. The THC cannabinoid is the compound that produces psychoactive effects or what gets you high. If a plant contains less than .3% THC it is considered a hemp plant.
The compound CBD is most often sourced from hemp plants and is non-psychoactive. So where does CBN come in, is it sourced from hemp or marijuana plants? CBN is a bit more complex.
CBN comes from aged THC, as THC ages and oxidizes it degrades into CBN. CBN was often overlooked because as the THC degrades the psychoactive effects lessen. However, CBN has a significant relaxation quality. It’s more complicated to extract, and alone may produce little to no psychoactive effects.
Though CBN is sourced from aged THC and has similar properties to CBD and THC in regards to anti-inflammation and pain management, research has shown CBN to have its own unique set of beneficial properties ranging from sleep aid, glaucoma, appetite stimulation, antibacterial, neuroprotectant and even anti-cancer.
What Is CBN For?
Though still in its early stages of research CBN is being found to have the following therapeutic benefits:
- Sleep Aid/Sedative– CBN is most well known for its sedative properties. Among all of the other cannabinoids, CBN contains the most sedative properties and is often sold as a sleep aid.
- Glaucoma– Studies have found CBN to be useful in reducing intraocular eye pressure caused by glaucoma.
- Appetite Stimulation– Research has shown CBN to stimulate appetite, unlike CBD which helps suppress appetite. CBN is a great non-psychoactive choice for those who may be suffering from cancer or other illnesses that affect appetite.
- Antibacterial– CBN is shown to have high antibacterial properties and has the ability to even fight bacterial infections that are antibiotic-resistant such as some strains of MRSA.
- Neuroprotectant– Though still in the early stages of research CBN is showing great promise in delaying the onset of ALS condition. A condition that causes the death of neurons controlling voluntary muscles.
- Anti-Cancer– Though also in the early stages of research CBN is showing great promise for the fight against cancer. CBN may be a powerful cannabinoid that can help slow or stop the growth of cancer cells and has been found to reduce the size of tumors in a particular kind of lung cancer.
- Chron’s Disease and Arthritis- Those suffering from these ailments may also find great relief with CBN as well. CBN has shown to regulate the immune system and ease pain and inflammation.
Where Can I Buy CBN?
We touched earlier on the fact that CBN is more difficult to extract, it can only get better with age so to speak and so buying CBN proves to be a bit more difficult. There is also a lot of confusion around the legality of CBN since it is a product of THC.
Most companies offer products with CBN isolate such as tinctures and edibles, and when researching CBN you can find many websites selling CBN as a sleep aid. I think the trouble is finding a reputable and transparent company that produces and sells quality CBN. Because CBN is new to the market it’s easy to be misguided and products are often mislabeled as there are no FDA regulations in place.
A few things to look for when purchasing CBN:
- Make sure you can view the lab results, extraction methods, hemp source and growing practices, and whether it is actually labeled CBN. At this point in time, a dispensary is your safest bet, but it goes without saying that not everyone has access to that. One online option I found to meet the above standards is Pot Luck Expo.
“When you buy something from this website, I may receive an affiliate commission.
These are my opinions and are not representative of the companies that create these products.
My reviews are based on my personal own experience and research.
I never recommend poor quality products or create false reviews to make sales.
It is my intention to explain products so you can make an informed decision on which ones suit your needs best.”
Who Should Use CBN?
As a powerful sedative, it’s safe to say that CBN could be very useful for those suffering from insomnia, pain, sleep-deprivation and could be even more effective in treating sleep ailments than CBD. It’s a safe, natural, effective and a much healthier alternative to prescription medications.
Sleep is so very crucial, and when you don’t get enough it can disrupt your whole life. There are countless reviews of people getting real relief from insomnia and troubles sleeping by using CBN, it’s definitely worth trying if your someone who could use a good nights sleep.
The Compound Worth Waiting For
Though in its early stages of research CBN shows great promise as a therapeutic medicine. It’s amazing that we are only now just scratching the surface and discovering all the unique benefits each cannabinoid has. We have a long way to go to make it readily accessible to everyone, but CBN is truly providing medicinal relief to so many who suffer from insomnia. A natural and safe alternative to prescription medicines is exactly what we need right now, CBN along with other cannabinoids are allowing people to return to their natural health and ultimately change their lives for the better.
Thank you for reading, please feel free to leave a comment. If you have a question about CBN or have experiences with CBN I would love to hear it.
This website is for informational purposes. The statements made regarding these products have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. The efficacy of these products has not been confirmed by FDA-approved research. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. All information presented here is not meant as a substitute for or alternative to information from healthcare practitioners. Please consult your healthcare professional about potential interactions or other possible complications before using any product. The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act requires this notice.